This year in advisory classes at Riverview, students and teachers will be learning about mindfulness and mental health and how it can provide students with skills to be more successful in school, their lives, and their futures.
What IS Mindfulness?
“Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us” (Mindful.org).
Mindfulness & Mental Health Advisory Lessons & Resources
Week One: Breathing
- Video: “Just Breathe” by Julie Bayer Salzman & Josh Salzman (Wavecrest Films)
- Video: “5 Minute Breathing Exercise”
- Video: “Under Pressure – Mindfulness for Teens”
Week Two: Getting to Know and Love Your Brain
- Video: Parts of the Brain
Weeks Three – Four: Mental Health
- Taking Care of Me
- Who Am I? Building Self-Esteem
- My Struggles
- Video: Alfred & Shadow
- Video: Identifying Our Feelings
- Video: Three Ways to Control Your Emotions